~

~

Sunday, April 20, 2014

My Pagan Vacation

I love snow, but after the tremendous amount we received this winter, I was eagerly anticipating a much needed vacation. My in-laws (who shall be referred to as "the folks" from now on) and the old boy and I are spending 2 weeks in sunny Florida. They have graciously provided a place for us to stay for which I am very thankful.

Sometime in the middle of February I realized that we would be arriving on the day of Passover and it would also be the feast of Unleavened Bread. It would also be the season of Easter and my husband's birthday! Alarm bells started going off in my head like crazy! It is hard enough to honor Sabbath when no one else does, not to mention these 2 appointed times. I am not big on birthdays either as I do not see them celebrated in the Bible, however, I am sure this is highly debatable, so I decided not to worry so much about that and to concentrate on Shabbat (Sabbath) and observing Passover. I have brought my matza to eat so I can abstain from eating bread in order to observe the feast of unleavened bread (see Leviticus 23 please).

How can I do this with out offending my Easter loving family, I wondered? Would this cause problems with my relationship with the old boy and the folks? Oh, and let's not forget about eating kosher... they are very kind people, but I am sure that they probably think I have gone off the deep end!

Well, we arrived here separately. The folks got here a day later which solved the Passover problem. We had a number of hurdles to cross when checking into our room, and arrived very late, but I managed to have my own little Seder, which is the traditional meal for Passover. It wasn't what I would have wished for, but I felt I did the best I could despite so many obstacles put in my way!

Today is Easter and I woke up to a large glass full of Easter candy and a large chocolate Easter bunny. Today is the day I officially declare my faith and prayerfully take a stand for what I see as truth. You see, the Holy Spirit has convicted me. During prayer, He clearly showed me that I was doing my family no favors by avoiding them. It is time to take a stand no matter how many problems it causes!

I am praying that Abba Father is working on their hearts to receive my loving response to their celebration candy. I am praying that they understand how much I love Yeshua...who they know as "Christ", which seems like such a cold name to me now! I pray that Yeshua is who they see in me and that I would not cause Him shame.

I know there are no coincidences with our God and He does things His way and in His time.

1 Corinthians 15:57-58 (Complete Jewish Bible) 
but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Yeshua the Messiah!
 So, my dear brothers, stand firm and immovable, always doing the Lord's work as vigorously as you can, knowing that united with the Lord your efforts are not in vain.



2 comments:

  1. Shabbat shalom! I'm Yuri from Bermuda. Just happened here from your comment placed on Homeward bound. How did your vacation with 'the folks' go? Did they receive your witness to YHWH'S Feast's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little awkward, Yuri, but I did the best I could and my Mother-law-law was very gracious about it. I am sure it will come up again at Christmas time and we will talk more about why I do not observe these things. Thank you for asking :)

      Delete